Upload a photo of yourself (required)
The file size must not exceed 1MB and must be one of the following formats: JPG or PNG
Upload a copy of your ID (required)
The file size must not exceed 1MB and must be in PDF format
Upload proof of payment (required)
The file size must not exceed 1MB and must be in PDF format
Please complete all sections of this application form
Please remember to bring 1 colour, passport sized photo and a copy of your id along with the proof of payment so that we can register you. You will not be allowed into the building without your student card once the course starts. Your application is not complete until all the aforementioned has been submitted. We cannot reserve a space for you in the class until documents and proof of full payment has been submitted.
Consumables will be supplied on the first day of training, but students are required to bring scissors, tape measure, pins, tailors chalk, unpicker, nipper and hand needles (unless you are doing the basic sewing course, in which case it will be provided).
I accept that all reasonable precautions will be taken to ensure the safety and welfare of myself/my child/ my ward during the centre’s hours. I shall be responsible for the payment of medical and/or hospital fees in the event of an injury, which CANNOT be ascribed to negligence on the part of the training centre or staff member responsible.
If I am unable (in the event of an accident or illness) to give permission for medical attention I cede my powers to the head of the training centre or their representative. To the best of my knowledge I am healthy and can thus participate in all activities.
Please specify any medical condition(s) that we should be aware of (e.g allergies, epilepsy, abnormal bleeding, etc. Write NONE if it applies.
Please assist us by answering the following question.
Where did you hear about SEWAFRICA?
* Please note, due to the level of skill required, these 2 courses can only be done if you have completed at least 3 other courses at SEWAFRICA.
Please click/check each paragraph to accept the terms and conditions.
1. Registration is only complete when all forms are completed with the accompanying documentation and the fee paid in full. Students are required to complete a short re-registration form for each subsequent course and submit the form together with the proof of payment to book a space on the course.
2. If a payment and forms are received, the assumption will be that the student is registered for the next available course unless otherwise stipulated on the payment or the application form. Non-attendance will result in forfeiture of the fees.
3. No learner will be permitted to start a course until fees are paid in full and all documentation submitted before the commencement date of the course.
4. Proof of payment must show student first and surname and/or the student number. If a reference cannot be traced back to a student, it is treated as a non-payment and the student will not be registered or a space booked on a course.
5. The basic sewing course must be completed before embarking on any other part time sewing course at SEWAFRICA.
6. Consumables will be supplied on the first day of training, but students are required to bring scissors, tape measure, pins, tailors chalk, unpicker, nipper and hand needles (unless you are doing the basic sewing course, in which case it will be provided).
7. A learner is responsible for ensuring that all equipment and materials supplied are brought into class, students are responsible for replacing lost or damaged equipment and materials.
8. A kit is supplied to each student – any change of fabric, thread colour, etc will be to the students’ expense. Part-time materials are for training purposes only. If the fabric or colour is not to your liking, you are welcome to purchase alternative fabric but SEWAFRICA cannot accommodate all preferences.
9. If a student is late or does not attend a scheduled day for whatever reason – this time cannot be made up or re-scheduled with the lecturer. The onus is on the student to catch up in their own time by following the instructions in the notes provided.
10. Load shedding may interrupt normal scheduled class times. In the event of generator malfunction, lecturers will complete cutting activities in this time, or the college will officially extend the class on another Saturday. Students will be informed one full week before of a change of scheduled time due to load shedding. If a student cannot attend the official extended times this time cannot be made up or re-scheduled with the lecturer.
11. Student Cards are issued at the beginning of each course; these cards serve as college access cards. Students will only be permitted in the college if they have their card. Failure to present your card may result in the security not permitting you to enter. This is not accepted as a reason for non-attendance. If a student card is lost it will be replaced at a cost of R50.
12. A set of keys are presented to each student at the beginning of the course, these keys must be used by the student to access their machine box each week. SEWAFRICA is not responsible for any loss or damage to items in the machine box. If a set of keys are lost, they can be replaced at a cost of R50.
13. Student cards and keys must be handed in by the students on the last day of each course. If a student is absent on the last day it is their responsibility to return the card and keys within 7 days of the last day of the course.
14. Attendance at the course may only be cancelled in writing at least one full week prior to the course commencing. Cancellation of a course is subject to a R 400 not refundable administration fee. If no written confirmation is received or if it is received after the full week cut-off, then the full amount paid for the course will be forfeited.
15. If a student has registered and paid for a course but does not turn up for the scheduled course dates no refund will be given. All the fees are forfeited as a space has been reserved for the student.
16. If a student cannot attend a course and wishes to be moved to another later course, this can only be done in writing within one full week before the course. A transfer administration fee of R 200 will be charged for the transfer. Any amounts outstanding as a result of the administration fee must be paid in full before the start of the course.
17. If a student pays for a course that is fully subscribed, the student will be placed on the next available course of the same module, no penalties will be incurred.
18. A Certificate of Attendance can, on request be provided at the end of the years’ courses or at the end of individual courses. Please note that only one certificate will be supplied per student free of charge, thereafter every additional certificate requested will result in a charge of R 30 per certificate. The free certificate will only be issued in the year that the course was completed, any requests made in the years following the year the course was presented will be charged at R 50.
19. Students who are proficient at basic sewing may choose to do an assessment to determine if they have the skills that would normally be acquired in the basic sewing course. Students wanting to do the basic sewing assessment will be assessed on aspects that are included in the basic sewing courses. These include the appropriate skills and correct use of the sewing machine as well as making samples of different garments that are taught in the basic sewing courses. If a student passes the assessment, they may continue with the other modules available, however they must supply their own sewing equipment. All other students must start with the basic sewing course. No refunds will be given on the assessment fee if the student does not meet the requirements for exemption from basic sewing.
20. No children or adults, who are not students of SEWAFRICA are permitted in the classrooms nor may they be in any other area of SEWAFRICA (including reception) while a student is in class.